Mangez des pommes!






Well, Well, amigos, I haven’t had a single second to announce you the two-fold great news. Firstly I have been promoted to the rank of Editorial Coordinator! Can you imagine? A promotion! To celebrate this great news, the office has decided to send me to what the world counts as most opposite to Algeria… Kazakhstan. Most of you must have heard about this country through Ali G’s performance as Borat Sajdieyv,

the funniest Kazakhstani reporter ever. (I guess there is only one…) I then left Algeria very rapidly, for a two-day transit via Brussels. In Brussels, needless to say, I just had the time to hug my family and friends, empty a couple of Jupiler with them, and swap my swimsuit against a warm polar jacket.
Thursday morning, I was on a flight to London, where I enjoyed a hangover and my first briefing as Coordinator. London is a place I don’t know at all, and where a couple of my friends live. A new project means a new team! Two lovely ladies now surround me: Sabeena, our project director, from UK with Indian origins, and Rachel, our trainee, from UK as well but with Spanish blood. Both of them have a great sense of humour, and it looks like we will have a great time together. After the French “verlan”, I know get to hear the typical English expressions. “Bollocks”, “OOOOOOh Noooo”, “Riiiiiight”,…

Here I am back on the blogworld. Needless to say that my last post wasn't the greatest one, but it was just to let you know that I was still alive... in case some were still doubting;) MMMMhhh Kazakhstan...
This very ambitious country, #9 on the world's largest country ranking, has seen its economic growth booming to become the most developed country in the Central asian region. Mr Nazarbayev will most certainly be elected to enter its 3rd mandate as the head of state with diversification of the economy as a main objective. Dependence on oil has alarmed the government, therefore they asked for the help of several Harvard economist to draw a startegy which would reduce the risk of suffering the so called "ducth disease". Very young CEO manage most of banks and there seems to be a strong will to 'turn the soviet era page". They permanently underline the fact tha Kazakhstan is doing much better than Russia in terms of Growth. Corruption is still a curse. recently a former head of state has been shot in his house, two bullets in the chest, one in the head. he was a strong opponent to the president... the police does not reject suicide:).

Almaty (the city of apple) is an interesting city which is definitly worth visiting. It has an interesting taste of switzerland, located on the moutains' edge, it still remains a very soviet influenced architecture which adds or doesn't (depending on the taste) to the local charme. This week end, we finally had the time to walk around with our lonely planet, and act as tourists for real.

Thomas and Adrien, my two lovely cousins, came to Almaty 6 months ago while driving the silkroad with their minivan. They got me in touch with Mara who organizes motorbike tour in the surroundings of almaty. What a ride!!! It was one of the nicest landscape I had the chance to see: a lunar vision with frost and myst. Surreal!



I am posting loads of pictures which will give you an idea of where, with whom, and how I live... Are you jealous? hehe. I wish you all the best, take care and above all, have fun!!!!

If you wish to reach me:
Mob:+73007780152
Landline: +73272371664

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catch Ahmet Polat, if you can…

Thoughtfull moment

Lynchpin of Middle Eastern politics