Zamalek


Here we are people! Manhattan Cairo aka Zamalek, an island of "peace" where "everybody' lives because of the location, the standard of living, but above all because everything gets delivered to you in 20 minutes. Egypt can turn easily you into a laaaaazy boy. Pizza+DVD+Beer+laundry+groceries+anyyything without sweating a single drop, isn't that amazing. A good thing is that tennis courts are not that far either... Quentin took me last week end for another tour in the center and to what is called "islamic Cairo". We walked for hours in the neighbourhood's labyrinthus, just wandering where to find something, and i guess we still don't know exactly what this something was, but it got us to discover colorful streets which aren't full of "rambo" tourists who come to cairo dressed as if they were on a hike in the desert. Cairo remained the central city of Egypt throughout the period of British rule and afterwards. The 20th century saw massive growth in the size of the city as peasants left the farmlands in pursuit of work in the factories and commerce of the metropolis. The city was especially burdened by refugees from the various wars with Israel: much of the population of the Sinai peninsula and the cities along the Suez Canal left for Cairo between 1967 and 1978. Today Cairo is Africa's most populous city and the Arab world's cultural centre. THE FIFTH LARGEST CITY IN THE WORLD!Yesterday, we went to a party in the outskirts of Cairo (by outskirts I mean one and a half hour... If you drive that long in Belgium, you automatically leave the country, hehe). They obviously have predicted even more popultation growth since they have "caterpillared" most of the area in order to build "New Cities", one of the is New Cairo.Here when they decide to do big, they do huge. Everything has to be oversized for obvious reasons but also because Egyptians are very ambitious, and think themselves as the region's natural leader, which is a reality. It is written in his eyes...hehe

Comments

Anonymous said…
u may actually drive 3 hours within belgique without leaving the country
Anonymous said…
depending on your speed you fool!
Scotland said…
Ahhh my dear old buddy Gregoire.

What a delight it is to hear of your continued travels - a veritable Phileas Fogg!

Cairo looks sumptuous and I can't believe it is the fifth biggest city in the world - they kept that one a secret from me.

As you may (or may not) have noticed my blog has been dormant for quite some time now. It saddens me greatly to think that it is gathering dust somewhere out there in the ether of cyberspace, but life moves on apace and I must try to keep up as best I can.

Tutoring goes well (and pays well) and they have offered me more work next semester so there is always that possibility. My masters rattles on and once again I am faced with some 5000 word essays to write - not my favourite hobby but interesting nonetheless.

Karla and I have recently moved house and are now settled in an appartment in a beautiful old church - Traumhaft as the Germaniacs are prone to saying. Married life is a constant joy and a perpetual surprise. Every day I learn something out about Karla and about me, so everyday really is a school day here.

Otherwise I am just trying to write as many articles as possible for as many publications as possible. I worked as a sports reporter on the Commonwealth Games, which was a great chance to network and interview some triumphant Australian sports stars (the worst kind!) - I haven't ruled out sports journalism, so we'll see if that develops into anything more substantial.

On that note, the University paper here are keen on writing a piece about Yuschenko, the failure of the Orange Revolution, and the recent farcical Belorussian elections. I am confident you are the man to speak to on such issues, so I was wondering if you'd be interested in conducting an email interview with my good self all about the situation there.

I'd be looking to put your viewpoint across to the University paper readers as a sort-of 'report from the field'. I know you're not there now, but you have at least been there during the momentous Orange events and I think your viewpoint would be, well, awesome.

Anyway, let me know what you think of this idea, and in turn I will promise to remain a loyal and unflinching voyeur on your most exciting life. Is it a deal?

Good.

Look forward to hearing from you soon monsieur.

Scotland
scottadrummond@hotmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Catch Ahmet Polat, if you can…

Thoughtfull moment

Lynchpin of Middle Eastern politics