Thoughtfull moment

The time has come for this blog to host my thoughts and impressions on a culture, which surrounds me every day here in Algeria, namely Islam. To me, Algeria is a very puzzling place because it represents greatly the edge between certain radicalism and a progressism that has emerged after the end of the terror period, in 1997. There are many signs of a relative opening towards a more occidental culture since president Bouteflika, who leads this country with an iron glove, has come into power. The « new » Algerian generation like many developing countries, faces a very trivial choice ahead: Either they pack up and immigrate to neighbouring Spain or France for a « better » future, or remain in Algeria and create a middle class that is desperately lacking. A friend of mine told me how easy it was to literally climb on a boat, bribe a couple of officials and travel to Marseille, join relatives or friends for a Pastis on the Canebière.On the other hand, Algeria experiences a great economic growth thanks to oil & gas production, which helps to improve its infrastructure and standard of living. I can’t wait to see what will happen when tourists will come over and start to fill up the beautiful beaches, walk one of the world’s most beautiful desert and visit the ancient roman ruins. Everyone is « Bienvenue » in Algeria, and Algerian will remind it to you on every occasion. They are truly warm and welcoming people! So what prevents Algeria from being the next Tunisia or Morocco? Islam is a key to the answer. Since September 11th, beards, jelaba’s and veils terrify the world. I was myself surprised to feel a shiver when taking off to Algiers, sitting on the plane next to somebody who corresponded exactly to the terrorist’s stereotype. They say that W.Bush’s administration intend, with the help of Israel which they still fail to recognize the legitimacy, to destroy the Muslim “verbe”, or language. The language is doubtless the strongest link among Muslims. An expression like “Inch Allah” has already been incorporated into vocabulary, because nothing happens unless it is with the help of God. Still and foremost, I feel the power of Islamic belief since I got here, since it is everywhere. TV shows you images of the Mecque, Coran verses are broadcasted and commented, and the Imam sings 5 times a day to remind you that « Allahu Akbar » !Above all, during this period of Ramadan, Islam demonstrates the world as well as Muslims themselves how much the holy book regulates their lives. Society in Algeria, unlike many other Islamic countries, is not differentiated from Religion. The one lies on the other, and they strategically consolidate each other. I had never witnessed the power of Islam, and, trust me on that, you feel extremely alone when it grabs you. The second day after my arrival, a taxi driver had tough words for my confession. At the end of what came close to an attempt to convert me, he asked me a very simple question: “We know a lot of famous people who decided to turn their souls towards Islam: Cat Stevens, Mohammed Ali… Can you name any Muslim who made the choice of becoming Christian?” No answer came to my mind… Immigration, Religion, Politics, Oil & Gas; Algeria gathers all great society’s issues. And I wonder, what should a young Algerian boy feel when he gets to France or Belgium and discovers that girls look more attractive with a miniskirt. Does he feel confused, fooled maybe? My girl colleague, Anne Sophie, has experienced here a true clash feeling men’s eyes in the street making her sense as she would be something dirty, while she really is a beautiful woman, more sophisticated than most, that’s it. As I said, it is puzzling.
My discourse might sound, rather pessimistic, negativist and critical, but once again, I was touched by their true kindness, and afraid by their obsessions. Additionally, I would just like to emphasise the responsibility that we all have to make the effort to understand what is happening, because it is happening, right in front of our eyes and ears.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this great piece of writing that made me take some time to actually think. It reminds me of my years in Jakarta, Indonesia. I encourage those of you who are interested in such matters and others to join the Open World Initiative (www.eviangroup.org/events/young.php) for further discussion.
Anonymous said…
Touching picture of you in black and white with that baby...congrats to your sister, im sure zelie has a great uncle! Great writting..you make us travel along side you in your experiences and thoughts..and that is a great destination to fly into..!
you're traveling the world in search of something and maybe you'll return home to find it.. bon voyage amigomio!

Popular posts from this blog

Catch Ahmet Polat, if you can…

Lockdown part. 6